Marriage at Church of the Epiphany and Christ Church
The beauty of our church and the majesty of our worship draw many to be a part of our worshiping community as a place to observe important life transitions and milestones. We welcome all people to join as members, and we also invite non-members to feel comfortable in approaching us to work with them in planning and conducting the various ceremonies which mark important changes in their lives.
Marriage is the most common sacrament non-members ask us to perform and we welcome these opportunities. It is important to note specifically that Church of the Epiphany and Christ Church, in full accordance with the policies of the Diocese of Newark, offers same sex couples recognition and access to all sacraments, including marriage.
Church of the Epiphany and Christ Church is an Episcopal Church, a member of the world-wide Anglican Communion. Our religious tradition requires certain expectations of the couple and the practical working of the church requires others. Since the relationship of members and non-members to the church is different, so are the expectations related to planning and expenses. A member is defined as any person who has attended Church of the Epiphany and Christ Church and pledged for at least one calendar year prior to the ceremony. The Rector is available to discuss any aspect of this process with couples wishing to proceed.
Expectations of any couple seeking marriage in the church, member and non-member, are these:
1. At least one member of the couple is a baptized Christian (not necessarily Episcopalian).
2. The couple has undergone an appropriate pre-marital counseling series conducted by the Rector or an agreed upon substitute. If either party has been married twice or more already, an outside counselor is required for the series. Divorce documents must be presented at the first meeting with the Rector if that has occurred. Permission by the Bishop for remarriage is required but the process is completed usually within 30 days.
3. Ceremonial aspects, floral arrangements, and musical selections are all subject to the approval of the Rector.
Additional Things You Should Know
- Reminders: No aisle runner is allowed. The throwing of rice, confetti, bird seed and similar matter is strictly prohibited. Couples and their photographers are required to sign a consent agreement stating that they understand and will comply with Church of the Epiphany and Christ Church policy regarding photography and videography at weddings.
- Marriage services are not conducted during the season of Lent (Ash Wednesday through the Saturday before Easter).
- Please contact the parish office for our schedule of wedding fees.
- To reserve a place on the parish calendar a deposit of 50% of the total anticipated cost is required. This deposit is refundable in full until the pre-marital counseling sessions begin. The balance, including any additional costs, is due one week before the service. Please make checks payable to "Church of the Epiphany and Christ Church.”
- Financial contributions to the church and Rector are used to fund various ministries of this church.